Leader Board Ad

Monday, September 5, 2011

Indian Chewing Gum from 1930.....I have reservations about chewing it

Nope, you never know what you are going to find if you look long enough and hard enough. This has happened to me before... While helping a family member clean out a house, I got to use my picking skills to find what hadn't been found.  I had already been rewarded by this house after exploring some cabinets that had been painted shut in this earlier post. The attic, although empty and cleaned, can still hold secrets untold thanks to all the nooks and crannies. With a flashlight, a small pry bar (we're talking small), and an open mind I began searching.  In a house like this, 100 years old or more, I figured there had to be something left behind or hidden - there always is. 
Sitting almost in plain site on top of a plank of wood, near an old door was a card. Which really didn't look like anything. Years of coal dust and asphalt bits were everywhere and this little card was unreadable. Unfortunately, one side of the card still is.
  Maybe because this side was facing up the other side was spared somewhat.  Oh well, I can't complain about a card that has been in an attic since 1933. Goudey Indian Chewing Gum were different from any other collector card series because they featured scenes from "romantic America." Buffalo Bill, William S. Cody, Sitting Bull and all numbered with a description on the back.  In a sneaky way they would skip numbers in the 192 (or more) card series so collectors would go a little crazy buying more packages to try and complete the set.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Found something unique? See something here you want to know more about? Start the discussion - I'll respond. Really!