Leader Board Ad

Monday, February 2, 2009

The trouble with being Ernest....for openers.

I picked this up many years ago at the Elephant's trunk in New Milford, CT. At first, I couldn't really remember why. I don't collect letter openers. Sometimes I will pick an item up because it might make a good joke gift, but I don't usually buy things this random.


Then I turned it over and I remembered why I couldn't resist.

Ernest Burbank could have done anything with his life, but during one period he was a door-to-door salesman for the Fuller Brush company. Is this even a real name? If I were an author looking for a character to build a story around, after picking this up, I would be inspired to create a world around how this letter opener came to be.

Little did Ernest's parents know, that when they named him, they may have sentenced him to a life of door to door sales. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but, what a name!

1 comment:

  1. I remember when the Elephants Trunk first opened, It's nice to see they survived the years.
    They always did have some unique items there.

    ReplyDelete

Found something unique? See something here you want to know more about? Start the discussion - I'll respond. Really!